Sunday, January 9, 2011

SORRY GUYS- I'M INTO REAL PUNK

Punk means different things to different people. To some it means memorizing all the lyrics to the Minor Threat album (I never liked it), and to some it's sneaking into the movies to thwart the capitalist war-machine. To Crass it's squatting in a shitty house in England and being confusingly political, but to Brokencyde it's doing whatever you want with music. I think we can all agree though that being too concerned with the roots of punk and feeling superior to younger kids is fucking annoying.

I got into punk in 6th grade with Green Day and Rancid because we were into skateboarding and already feeling like outcasts. Anything on Fat Wreck was obviously sweet and I didn't care much about the Sex Pistols because it wasn't that fast. The waves of punk after the 2nd are probably not cut and dry, but after the mid 90's I was also into "real punk". I think that during this time to combat the pop-punk trend, punks who were trying to keep it real were playing a mix between 1st and 2nd wave and that sounded like this:



I thought the Pinkerton Thugs were really good- my friend made me a tape of their full length which unfortunately has not hit youtube yet. However, there are a bunch of live videos of these guys playing live in stupid hats.


I missed these guys at Bernie's like 5 times as a kid, and I have no real regrets to this day. This record Appetite of Kings was really cool and I have on vinyl somewhere (because vinyl is real punk). Note that there are only 749 views, compared to Brokencyde's millions, and these guys probably work in a boston Dunkin Donuts.



Just in case anyone out there was into police brutality, these guys felt it was necessary to address the subject. Drunk punk was the best at taking the same 3 anti-government ideas and hammering them into the ground 23 times on a full length. That Go Go dancer track above, Drink Drank Punk, and Summer Squatters Go Home were nice lifestyle tracks to break up the monotony. These guys went on to clean up their production a bit and make thousands while headlining 1500 person venues. I'm going to be a purist and say I liked the first couple releases the best.


Seriously how good is that cover!?!?! The Casualties were the Spazz of real punk- 3 line indecipherable songs that lasted half as long as most punk tracks. I like this track because it covers the topic of unity. Their hair is so cool and there is alot of leopard on the cd jacket from what I remember.


Pledge of Defiance by Total Chaos is better than 90% of pc hardcore-punk bullshit that came out at the same time. It was probably ignored by that crowd because it was released on epitaph which at the time was synonymous with light stuff like 10 foot pole and SNFU. Those bands were cool, but it's a different post yall.


I'm jewish so when I was younger I made very few serious mistakes, one of them was liking this band. But hey, I was young and trying to smash the state.


I remember seeing LES Stitches stuff strewn about at 97 warped tour, but never really got into them. I can get behind the title of this song but the music is just eh to me. My friends almost started a band called LES Rapist and I think that is a better name for a punk band.


Fuckin loved this song but don't know much about White Kaps, who were on the early roster of Fearless Records which we all know since came to their senses and signed moneymakers like A Skylit Drive.


Another band I liked, but I can't seem to find a youtube of their other album that I owned. LOL at the first comment on youtube.



Last but certainly not least is Diesel Boy, and in this track they kind of make fun of all the punk that I posted above.


Were you older folks into "real punk" of the 2nd wave? What bands did I miss? Did you want to smash capitalism in the late 90s, but drive a bmw now? Does food not bombs still exist?