Friday, December 24, 2010

ELISE'S FAV TWEEN JAMZ 2K10

Now that I've posted my top 10 metal albums list, it's time to get to the good shit. And by good shit, I mean the music I like that actually makes a legit amount of money, instead of the dumb tuff stuff that's only hallowed by a bunch of overweight, antisocial doo doo brains. That's right folks, I'm here to tell you what I thought was legit this year in the captivating world of tween music. So for those of you out there who think you're funny when you try to make fun of me for liking this stuff and bust out some outdated High School Musical reference circa 2006...please take note. This is what 2010 sounded like in the marvelous world of prepubescence. (Or at least to a 25 year old who thinks she's as such.)



Iron Weasel - "Band Van"
I suppose I'll start with one my "metal" followers might like. Ever since Disney first aired I'm in the Band about a year ago, I've been hooked. I seriously like this so much more than that cartoon band or whatever. Most of you will disagree with that, but hey, look at the title of this site. Anyway, I hope you enjoy Iron Weasel's ode to their most important member.



Victoria Justice - "Freak the Freak Out"
If I had to pick a Tween Entertainer MVP of 2010, it'd be Victoria Justice. I remember feeling kind of bad for her when she lost her job on Zoey 101 (thanks for nothing, Jamie-Lynn), but homegirl made a huge comeback this year on her own show, Victorious on Nickelodeon. It's super funny and has a lot of catchy songs on the soundtrack (including this one). Such a shame it doesn't get as much recognition as the foo foo Disney Channel shows. But don't worry, VJ, I got yo back.


The Summer Set - "The Boys You Do (Get Back at You)"
If the singer of your band dates the female lead in a Disney Channel show, you're already a step ahead of the rest. They also have a chick drummer! But what's great about this band is their super controversial lyrics. This dude is threatening to get his revenge on an ex lover by bangin' all of her friends! If your tween daughter wasn't already thinking about sex, she sure is now.


Demi Lovato - "Can't Back Down"
No 2010 end of year tween list would be complete without Demi. She's had a rough year and she needs our support. Which is why I'll include this song "Can't Back Down" from the Camp Rock 2 soundtrack. The lyrics are so inspirational, you could almost forget about the fact that she starred in this movie with the boy who gave her her rehab-inducing heartbreak to begin with. Stay strong, D.


Allstar Weekend "Come Down With Love"
AW just came out with their debut album this year and they've already made a huge splash in the Disney Channel crowd. But early next year, they're hopping on the Glamour Kills tour with The Ready Set and are totally gonna gain massive scene points. They have my vote for BND2WTCH2K11.


Miranda Cosgrove - "Oh Oh"
I didn't think Ms. iCarly's musical debut would be anything to write home about when she released her single "Kissin' You," but once I heard the rest of the album, I discovered some pretty good jams on it. On Sparks Fly, Miranda teaches us that music is very subjective. The lyrics to this song go: "If you think I'll cry for you tonight, I'm out having my oh, oh." I have a pretty good idea what she could mean by that, but I wonder what the average 9-year old thinks.


Big Time Rush - "Til I Forget About You"
I'm so stoked that Big Time Rush brought back the BOY BAND. I can only take so much of these other tween bands that actually play instruments.


Selena Gomez & The Scene - "Naturally"
SG did this weird thing when she started making music, which was managing to *not* be a total slut-ho in doing so. I'm convinced this girl has no dark side, or is just really way too good at covering it up. This all ties in to my theory as to why her and Demi stopped being friends.


Evan Taubenfeld - "Pumpkin Pie"
Many of the tween girls that these types of artists cater to happen to be a little on the heavier side. They might as well sing songs about their favorite foods. But be careful they don't eat you!!!!!!! #srsly


Willow Smith - "Whip My Hair"
These days, there's still not much goin' on for the sistah tweens out there. Hopefully Willow Smith can pave the way for other chicks lookin' to show tweens what good hurr iz.


Fight Fair - "SexyFancyMoney"
Fight Fair are cute, fun, and really like the beach. I like to think of them as today's Beach Boys. Not that tweens know what that is, or anything.


Hey Monday - "I Don't Wanna Dance"
What's not to love about Hey Monday? (A band I have praised on this website previously.) Besides the fact that they're not a real band, all of their members are puppets, and the singer has her feed auto-tuned when they play live? Hmmm...well, at least the song is catchy, right? Totez.


Sean Kingston & Justin Bieber - "Eenie Meenie"
All the young girlies have to decide: who would you rather? The mop head....or a fat Jamaican??!


Ke$ha - "Dinosaur"
Every tween hates it when when #oldppl hit on them. Go back to the museum, dude. You're practically old enough to vote.


We Are the In Crowd - "Both Sides of the Story"
If you can't win your way into my heart just by being a girly pop-punk band, you sure can by dating yourselves with a Twitter-themed music video. #2010 #toystory3 #wikileaks


Miley Cyrus - "Permanent December"
I'll be honest. I thought Miley's newest jam, Can't Be Tamed was pretty awful. But THIS song rules. It might be my favorite song of hers ever, and it's definitely been my go-to tween holiday jam. It all makes my waning interest in Miss Cyrus bittersweet. With the Hannah Montana franchise nearly out the door, and Miley herself getting much more, um, "mature," I'm kind of not into it anymore. I'll forever think of this song as Miley's last hurrah.

What were YOUR favorite tween songs of 2010?? Are Miley and Demi's tween careers pretty much dunzo? Is girly pop-punk only going to get bigger in 2011?? And is it just me or are the newest Disney Channel shows (Good Luck Charlie & Shake it Up!) kind of slacking??