Friday, January 7, 2011

SCENE IS DEAD [RIP MySpace/RIP 2008]


Like ShawnYouWillHate said, I was a little disappointed by the music of 2010. I feel like so much has changed since I got into the scene back in 2008, like everything I love is slipping away... I just miss the way things were in 2008, when it was all about neon, dancey electro beats, and most of all MySpace.


I still have a yellow and pink Cash Cash shirt, I wear it to the gym sometimes


In this video, 2007's Forever The Sickest Kids mock "the neon look," which they embodied more than anyone


Makes me sad when I think about bands like Playradioplay who never even got a chance, like baby sea turtles getting plucked off the beach by seagulls


White Tie Affair had it all: great songs, a good looking frontman, but what happened??

The great thing about MySpace is that it made it look like these bands were huge when they definitely weren't. They might have 400 zillion MySpace friends, super-polished promo shots, and album after album of slutty girls who made them fansigns, but when I went to see them they'd play at the same tiny, shitty venues that I saw hardcore bands in 10-15 years earlier, and would only draw 50-150 kids, but from looking at their MySpace, you'd think they were all in Bon Jovi. It felt like more than just another flash in the pan, it felt like a MOVEMENT.


Will Hollywood Undead survive without Deuce??? Will Deuce ever do more than make butthurt tweets about HU??

Miss u, scene hair. Do they even sell clip-in coon tails at Hot Topic anymore??


Remember the original, DIY video for "Don't Trust Me"? Remember shutter shades??? It's so old it's not even 16:9!


Is there anything more emblematic of MySpace/2008-style dancey powerpop than Metro Station?? Will Trace Cyrus ever do anything notable again?


Along with Brokencyde and Millionaires, Blood On The Dancefloor are one of the few MySpacers clinging desperately to relevance-- not sure how long they can hold out. Is the Sidekick drawing in this image supposed to be 'retro'?

Now it's all about Rise Records-style metalcore/trancecore/dubstepcore. Not really feeling that. I mean, I like it as much as the next guy, especially the better stuff like the latest Attack Attack LP, but it definitely doesn't get me going like the autotuned powerpop of 2008 did. Like I mentioned earlier, easycore is fizzling too, which was the only other thing that kept me going. I'm really bummed. What's next, guys?? Will I ever like music again???????



Remember neon? Remember Autotune? What are the poor kids who are/were in these failed bands are doing with themselves now that scene is dead??? Will Facebook ever have the same magic as MySpace did??????